Skip to main content
SearchLoginLogin or Signup

The Formation of Multiple Planetary Systems Subject to Atmospheric Mass Loss

Presentation #608.03 in the session Multiple-Planet Systems.

Published onApr 03, 2024
The Formation of Multiple Planetary Systems Subject to Atmospheric Mass Loss

A gap in exoplanets’ radius distribution has been widely attributed to the photoevaporation threshold of their progenitors’ gaseous envelope. Giant impacts can also lead to substantial mass loss. The outflowing gas endures tidal torque from the planets and their host stars. Alongside the planet–star tidal and magnetic interaction, this effect leads to planets’ orbital evolution. For the closely packed multiple planetary systems, the innermost planet may not lose too much mass if the planets keep in chain resonance, most of system can keep in stable with losing less than 5% of its total mass, with losing 5%-10% of its total mass, the orbital crossing may happen leaving large cored in widely separated configuration, especially with fast mass loss timescale. For the multiple planetary systems with gas giants, with higher mass loss fraction and shorter orbital period of gas giant, the mutual inclination can be excited to larger than 10 degrees which is a possible reason of more gas giant multiple planetary system with longer periods have been observed. The planets in the observed giant multi-transiting systems may not lose atmosphere greater than 15% of its total mass. We predict 1-2 systems existed in TESS data with a single transiting super-Earth within period of 10 days with TTV amplitude higher than three minutes due to a non-transiting gas giant.

No comments here